Township Assistance FAQ
How do I apply for Township Assistance?
The office is located at 205 S. Maple Street Kouts, Indiana. You may call the office at 219-766-3216 to receive an application packet. After the application is complete and the documents are provided, you can set up an appointment to meet with the Trustee. An application is not considered complete until all adult members of the household have signed the application and Disclosure and Release of Information form. After the Trustee reviews and verifies all the information, the Trustee will determine if you are eligible for assistance.
Who is eligible for Assistance?
To be eligible to Township Assistance, you must:
- Live in Pleasant Township
- Meet the income guidelines
- Be in need of essentials of life
- Be willing to help yourself
Eligibility is determined by the Trustee after application is completed and is based on the standards adopted by the township.
We have 72 working hours to investigate and verify information.
What should I bring with when I come to apply?
Items to bring with you when you apply are:
- Picture ID for those who are 18 years or older living in the house.
- Checking and Savings Account Balances for the past 3 months
- Social Security Card for everyone in household
- Verification of income for everyone in the household for the past 30 days
- Expenses for the last 30 days
- Receipts for the last 30 days
- All current utility bills
- Last Rent receipt
- Copy of Lease (If rent assistance is needed).
What kind of assistance can the Trustee provide?
The Trustee can help with the following basic needs:
- Temporary Shelter
- Current Month’s Utilities (Must be in a disconnect state)
- Burials for indigents
There are several other organizations and groups that the Trustee can tell you about as well.